Allergies are defined as the abnormal responses of the immune system, which are manifested when a person is exposed to some peculiar substances that stimulate the immune system to respond abnormally. However, not every person is allergic to these substances. A substance which makes a person allergic might not have any effect on another.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
Allergic symptoms differ based on the type of the allergic disease. However, a variety of the allergic diseases show all or some of the following signs. These include:
- Inflammation in body parts.
- Swelling up of the nose.
- The main culprits for stimulating allergic reactions are pollen, latex, dust and certain types of food.
- The ambiance surrounding a person may also trigger allergic response.
- Most of times allergies are inherited by people.
- Environmental factors also stimulate allergies in individuals. Industrial pollution often triggers allergies. There are certain chemicals found in industrial areas that trigger allergy formation residents of such regions.
Although prescribed medications play a vital role in yogic treatment of allergies, such patients can look at various yoga practices that help to reduce the symptoms of the allergy.
- Allergic patients are recommended to do Kapalabhati Pranayama or Skull Shining Breath. It involves several sequences of forceful, rapid exhalations as well as passive inhalations. It clears the nasal passage.
- Nadi Sodhana or alternate Nostril Breathing a type of Pranayama recommended to be practiced using both the nostrils.
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, or bridge pose, gives strength to the muscles of lungs and chest of a person, thereby helping in expansion. This increases the effectiveness of breathing.
An allergic person must take home remedies to keep the allergy at bay. These include:
- Ensure cleanliness and hygiene of the bed clean so that dust particles and allergens are not accumulated in it.
- While using a vacuum cleaner, make sure to use a face mask to avoid the dust from entering the nostrils.
- Allergic patients are advised to replace carpets with throw rugs, as these rugs are washable.
- Ensure the room free from dust and pollen, an air filter can also be used for this purpose.
Ayurveda advises a definite procedure to cure allergies. This includes improving the digestive capacity, diet control to ensure a clean burn and purify and strengthen the immune system. These processes help in eradicating allergy from its root cause in the body.
- As per Ayurveda, uncontrolled eating habits facilitate occurrence of allergies in many cases. Allergic patients must choose eating foods that are easy to digest but which preserve the essential nutrients.
- Allergies are easily triggered from stress-related burnout. Hence meditation is a better choice to beat the stress.
- Herbal oil massages are recommended to keep the allergens at bay that enter the body through the nostrils and food.
- Mild body cleansing procedures like panchakarma, combined with application of powerful herbs, reduces effects of allergy.
Population and environmental pollution both are growing tremendously and so is their effect and contribution in the rise of allergic reaction in people. Taking precaution is the best way to keep allergies at bay. The more a person is away from allergens, the lesser will be the difficulties. People who are prone to dust allergy must not visit dusty places and environments. We recommend consulting a doctor to know more about the allergens.
(All the information in this document is well researched but general. To know more about remedies of these diseases please contact our specialists)