“Hala” means “Plough” in Sanskrit. The body position maintained in this posture gives an impression of the Indian plough and that is wht it is called ‘Halasana’.
- Fold the body in Ardha Halasana posture without taking help of the hands.
- Breathe out slowly, push the palms against the ground and lift up the posterior, hips and lower back off the ground and, simultaneously, lower and move your legs right over your head without bending the knees to the extent the toes touch the ground at the nearest point beyond your head.
- Breathe in and take free inhalations and exhalations.
- Slide away the toes together straight along the floor, bending the spine to the highest extent to form a curve.
- Balance your body in this position and breathe out fully.
- Breathe deeply few times.
- Breathe out slowly, keep the legs straight and slide away the toes together straight along the ground moving away from the head to the extent the lower parts of the thighs are brought opposite the forehead.
- Breathe in and follow normal inhalations and exhalations.
- Push the chest against the chin and maintain a tight chin-lock.
- Raise your arms and move them gradually and make sure they rest on the ground on any side of your head.
- Maintain a finger-lock and keep the clasped hands encircling the top of your head.
- Breathe deeply few times.
- Breathe out; slide the toes forward to the maximum distance from the head as possible.
- Ensure the legs are straight and together.
- Make sure the knees are stiff and the toes pushing the floor.
- Stay in this position to the extent you feel comfortable, breathing at normal pace.
- Bring the arms to their original position on the respective sides.
- Breathe in, bring back the legs together to the perpendicular position ensuring knees are not bent.
- Breathe out, bring down the legs to the extent heels touch the floor.
- Breathe normally and feel comfortable in Sarvasana.
- It is recommended to try this asana on an empty stomach.
- If you notice any persistent pain in the liver or spleen or feel extraordinary pressure on the abdomen, immediately stop this asana.
- Patients of hernia, high blood pressure or heart ailments must avoid it.
- Women should not practice it during menstruation and after the third month of pregnancy.
- If practiced regularly, Halasana cures the tension in the back, neck and legs and treats different types of rheumatism.
- It reduces pain in the shoulders and the waist.
- It helps to get rid of belching, gastritis, flatulence and enteroptosis.
- It also cutres headache, bronchitis and asthma.
- Disorders of the uterus and ovaries and menstrual ailments are treated effectively by the regular practice of this asana.
- Halasana stretches and exercises the posterior muscles of the entire body. The asana makes strong the intercostal muscles. The asana improves efficiency of the heart muscle and thus makes the heart healthy and increases circulation.
- The muscles at the back of the neck are stretched and relaxed.
- The alternate contraction, relaxation, stretching and the slow unwinding of the spinal column work on holistic approach to exercise for the different areas. If practiced regularly under guidance, the entire spine gets elasticity and becomes flexible and the spinal nerves, muscles and ligaments are toned up due to additional supply of arterial blood.
- This asana gives thyroid and parathyroid a better health and improves their functioning
- It also improves the functioning of the gonad glands.
- The asana is a boon for the Musicians and teachers because this asana works as good massage for the throat. The throat gets cleared up after the practice and the neck muscles become strong.
- If anybody wants to burn extra fat in the chest, lower abdomen, hips, thighs, legs and the backside then it is advised to practice this asana regularly. It helps to get rid of excessive weight and trim a flabby abdomen.
- It teaches us to follow a correct standing posture and grow toour full stature.
- Yoga for Better Sex
- Yoga Can Cure Impotency
- Pregnancy Yoga – Yoga for pregnant women
- Benefits Of Yoga For Pregnancy
- Pregnancy Massage Therapy
- Lose Weight through Yoga
- Look younger with Yoga!