This breathe control technique or pranayama is performed by using right nostril for inhalation and the left one for exhalation. Each round consists of the same procedure. This is also popular as Viloma type of pranayama.
As Yoga says that navel in our body is the place of Sun and the skull is the place for moon. As we all know that the moon gives cooling effect, and the sun is known for heating effect.
The underline basis of this theory is probably the fact that the food we eat is goes for digestion in the stomach that is near the navel. Digestion requires heat, the source of which is assumed as sun.
The air we take in through the right nostril significantly affects other forms of vital energies in our body. It results in accumulation of these energies around navel root, which is believed to play a vital role in awakening the Kundalini.
Technique for Suryabhedana Pranayama
- Sit in Padmasana or Sidhasana.
- Use your right nostril for Inhaling slowly and deeply, use your ring finger and little finger to close your left nostril.
- Next, use the thumb of your right hand to close your right nostril.
- Now breathe out through your left nostril, keeping your right nostril closed.
- Repeat the act 5 – 10 times.
Tips for practicing Suryabhedana Pranayama
- Don’t overdo the exercise so as to avoid exhaustion while doing this.
- Every time inhalations are strictly recommended through the right nostril and exhalations through the left.
- The air that goes out throughout the process must be felt at the tips of your fingers, your thumbs and in your nasal membranes where pressure is applied. The sound it makes should be maintained throughout by applying varying pressure on your nostrils.
- You should not feel even the slightest strain and the skin on your forehead, eyes, temples, eyebrows should remain passive.
- Inhalation and exhalation should last be in the ratio of 1:2.
- Try to maintain an even and slow rhythm throughout.
As a result of Suryabhedana Pranayama heat is generated in the body and the part of the brain, which holds the vital life-force gets stimulated. As a result the functioning of liver and immune system improves, the blood gets purified and gas problems are cured. Apart from this , Intestinal ailments, leucoderma and other skin diseases also get benefited. Suryabhedana removes vata problems in the stomach and prevents throat trouble.