Primary Hypertension – also known as essential hypertension; commonly caused by stress. Primary hypertension has no specific symptom. Other causes comprise emotional disturbance, hereditary, race, climatic condition, Obesity, smoking and alcohol intake.
Secondary Hypertension – may lead to kidney infection, malfunctioning of the Endocrine Gland, arterial problems like arteriosclerosis.
Hypertension was known as the silent killer as it had no specific symptom. If not detected at an early stage it can lead to a heart attack.
In order to manage hypertension a life style change including yoga would be beneficiary as both body and mind needs to be treated. It has been proved that regular practice of yoga asana and pranayama can bring down HBP.
We encourage you to do the following practices and wish you a healthy lifestyle.
- Stand with your feet together, and arms by the side.
- Raise the arms over the head and interlock the fingers and turn the palms upward. Inhale and stretch the arms.
- Exhale and bring the hands to the side.
- Repeat 5-10 rounds.
- Shoulder stretches.
- Shoulder stretches are great to relieve tension on your shoulders and entire upper back.
- Stand erect with the feet slightly apart.
- Keep pulling your arms upwards gently to accentuate the stretch on the shoulders and chest.
- Remain in final position for 5- 10 seconds.
- Relax the arms.
- Repeat up to 5 times.
- Start on your hands and knees on the floor with fingers spread out.
- Make your back horizontal and flat.
- Inhale and arch your spine inwards with your head raised,
- Exhale and arch your spine outwards by pulling your abdominal muscles inwards towards your spine.
- Curl your head inwards.
- Repeat the sequence 5 times.
- Sit with the legs outstretched, back straight.
- Bend the right knee.
- Bring the left hand to the outer side of the right leg twisting the trunk.
- Place the left hand on the floor near the right ankle.
- Place the right hand behind the back on the floor for support.
- Turn the back and look over the right shoulder.
- Lie down on your back on the floor.
- Bend both knees and bring them to the chest. Interlock your fingers around the shin and hug
- them closer to your chest.
- Exhale when you bring the knees to the chest.
- Hold the position for 10-15 seconds. You may breathe normally while holding the posture.
- Practice 3 times.
- Lie straight on your stomach, keeping the palms on the floor below the shoulder blades and the
- elbows touching the middle part of the body. Keep the heels together and toes flat on the floor.
- Breathe normally.
- Bend the head and neck backward.
- Inhaling slowly, raise the head and chest, above the naval area, upwards. Retain your breathe
- and hold in the same position for about 6 to 8 seconds.
- Exhale and simultaneously lower the head towards the floor.
- Sit comfortably with your back straight.
- Bend your forefinger and middle finger of your right hand.
- Place ring finger between eyebrows, press right nostril with thumb. Inhale through the left
- Now place thumb in between eyebrows, leaving ring finger on left nostril. Exhale through the
- right nostril.
- Now, repeat inhaling, and exhaling in the opposite direction– starting from the right nostril.
- This completes 1 round.
- Practice 5 rounds, and slowly increase with time।
Visit us at : http://www.vivekanandneedam.org